John Hewitt

John (Jack) Hewitt was born about 1892 at Coatham Mundeville. He was the grandson of George and Mary Hewitt.

In the 1901 census George and his family were at East Row, Aycliffe. George was 62, born Sutton Forest, Yorkshire and was working as a farm labourer. Mary was 57, born Fencoat, Yorkshire.

In the 1911 census they living at Orleans, Aycliffe. As well as John Hewitt, there were another two grandsons with them - George Robinson, age 15, a pit labourer, and Fred Robinson, 11, still at school.

John Hewitt attested 27 August, 1914 at Aycliffe. He joined the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Gunner 90206. He was posted to the 163rd Battery 8 September, 1914. John had been posted to France and was then with the 221st Battery. There was reorganization 15 January, 1915 and he was posted to the B Battery, 70th Brigade, RFA, 13 March, 1915. John was home 2 June, 1916 to 16 September, 1916, France 21 September, 1916 to 28 20 December, 1917. John returned home 21 December, 1917, then was back to France 10 August, 1918. He finally returned home 31 March, 1920.

John Hewitt was 22 years, 269 days old when he attested. He was 5' 91/2" tall and weighed 142 lbs. He had a dark complexion, blue eyes and dark brown hair.

8 November, 1914 John was in trouble for taking a horse from the stables at Bordon without permission.

14 April, 1916 John was admitted to the O.C. Sta Hos near Salonica, seriously ill and a wire was sent to his father. He was then admitted to the Mil H Valletta ex 21 Sty Hos. 30 April, 1916 and his brother informed (father had been crossed out). G.C.T Head Slt.

2 June, 1916 John was with the C Res Bde and by 8 August, 1916 he was a mastered gunner.

17 June, 1916 John was admitted to the Roill? Road Auxilliary Hospital for headaches after concussion.

11 September, 1916 John overstayed his leave at Woolwich and was docked a day's pay.

When in France he was gas poisoned.

25 March, 1918 John was admitted to hospital with nephritis and stayed for 94 days.

In August, 1920 John received his 1914-1915 Star Medal and November 5, 1920 he received his British War Medal. In September, 1921 he recevied his Victory Medal, and was living at 86, High Street, Hemel Hempstead.